Dental sedation, also known as sleep dentistry, is often employed to help patients feel more comfortable during their treatment. Almost any procedure can be completed under sedation.
Your safety and comfort are important to our team at our Herndon, VA dentist office, so we work with you to find the best sedation method for you. When used correctly, dental sedation allows you to get the treatment you need in a more relaxed and comfortable state.
Herndon, VA dentist Dr. Mark Jefferies offer a full menu of dental sedation methods for patients of all ages. We work with you to help you make the most out of your visit. During your appointment, we will explore all of your sedation options and recommend the best option for you.
When Is Dental Sedation Used?
Dental sedation can be used in all types of treatment, including implant dentistry, root canal, placing restorations, tooth extractions, and oral surgeries.
Sedation dentistry can also help anxious and/or fearful patients receive the care they need. Patients with dental fear or anxiety often avoid the dentist, and as a result, their oral health suffers. Dental sedation can help eliminate that fear and anxiety you may feel and allow you to safely undergo your dental treatment.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Dental sedation can improve the overall patient experience by benefit patients in these key ways:
- You can receive multiple treatments during one visit
- Allows your dentist to perform your procedure quickly
- You are relaxed and comfortable throughout all aspects of your treatments
- Allows fearful or anxious patients to receive the dental care they need
Sedation Dentistry For Anxious Patients
Dental fear and anxiety can be debilitating. Finding ways to cope or overcome your dental fear can benefit your smile in the long run. We offer compassionate, experienced care at our Herndon dentist office. Dr. Jefferies and our team take the time to listen to your concerns, understand your dental needs, and recommend the best treatment for you. It is important to understand all aspects of your dental care, so you can feel confident and relaxed during your visit with us. We walk you through all phases of your care to ensure you are fully informed before we perform any treatment.
We want your visit to our office to be a positive one, so we work diligently to meet your needs. Sedation dentistry can vastly improve your overall experience at the dentist. We offer a range of dental sedation options that can accommodate your needs. During your appointment, we will work with you to determine which sedation method is right for you. We strive to help each of our patients achieve a healthier smile through patient-focused, personalized dental care.
Is Sedation Dentistry Right For Me?
In many cases, dental sedation can make visiting the dentist more comfortable. During your consultation, Dr. Jefferies will discuss your preference, medical history, and dental goals to determine if dental sedation is right for you.
Dental sedation is a safe and effective way option for patients to have one of the following conditions:
- A strong gas reflex,
- Have dental fear or anxiety,
- A difficulty getting numb
- Movement disorder
- Special needs
- Intense tooth sensitivity
Types of Dental Sedation
Dental sedation comes in many forms, all of which have their benefits. Sedation dentistry allows our patients to remain relaxed and at ease throughout all phases of their care.
- Nitrous Oxide: Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is a colorless gas that is administered through a nasal mask. Nitrous oxide is the most common form of sedation and is ideal for patients of all ages. Under this form of sedation, you are in control of all your body movement and can communicate with your dentist when necessary. The depth of your sedation can be altered depending on your needs. With this fast-acting sedation method, many patients have little to no memory of their treatment.
- Oral Sedation: Oral sedation is a safe and effective way to sedate a patient without using traditional anesthesia. This method of sedation is administered in the form of a pill which is taken about an hour before your scheduled appointment. During your treatment, your vital signs are closely monitored to ensure you are comfortable and safe throughout your visit. Under oral sedation, patients have little to no memory of their appointment. If you receive oral sedation, it is imperative to have a designated driver to and from our office.
Dr. Jefferies and our dental care team will gladly discuss any concerns, issues, or fears you may have about your upcoming visit. We can also discuss if sedation dentistry is right for you and explore your options.